Weather emergencies can happen, no matter where you live. Knowing what to do during an emergency is an important part of being prepared and may make all the difference when seconds count. This includes knowing the proper food and water safety precautions to take during bad weather events, including flooding and power outages.
The FDA, in collaboration with the National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration (NOAA), hosted a 30-minute webinar “Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics”. During the presentation, FDA and NOAA experts shared information on severe weather situations that often lead to power outages or flooding and discussed the action steps you can take to prepare for weather emergencies and prevent foodborne illness.
Moderator: Christopher Gezon, CFSAN Office of Analytics and Outreach, Education and Outreach Branch
Featured Speakers: Ann Taubenheim, PhD, CFSAN Office of Analytics and Outreach, Chief, Education and Outreach Branch
Chris Maier, BS, NOAA National Weather Service, National Warning Coordination Meteorologist
Download Presentation Slides: Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics (PDF- 1.75MB)
If you have never attended a WebEx meeting before:
Test your connection: https://fda.webex.com/fda/systemdiagnosis.php
For assistance: https://fda.webex.com/fda/mc (On the left navigation bar, click “Support”.)
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- Vaccines for Use During Pregnancy to Protect Young Infants from Disease – FDA Update
- FDA Basics Webinar: Practice the art of sun protection
- FDA Basics Webinar: "Mini-Sentinel," FDA's New Tool for Monitoring the Safety of FDA-Approved Medical Products
- FDA Basics Webinar - April 27, 2015: Drug Trials Snapshots
- FDA Webinar on Prescription Drug Shortages
- When previously recalled products are back on the shelves, how can I be sure that it is okay to buy them?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basics Webinar- August 31, 2015: Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- FDA Basics Webinar, June 17, 2013: Biological Products: Part 1
- Is it true that "OTC (Over the Counter)" products can prevent SIDS?
- FDA's Pesticide Program
- Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products
- Where can I find information about adverse reactions to a medicine prescribed for my child?
- Where can I find information about medicines prescribed for my child?
- FDA Webinar on Protecting Your Child's Health Through Safe and Effective Vaccines
- FDA Webinar on Safety of the Blood Supply
- How did the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act come about?
- Materials from Webinar on Access to Investigational Drugs
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?
- What is a docket? How do I submit comments to a docket? How do I find comments submitted to a docket?
- Can I buy medical products online? How do I know they're safe?
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA CBER Mini-Sentinel Program