FDA Basics Webinar August 19, 2013: Biological Products, Part 2: Biosimilar Biological Products
Many of today’s important medications are biological products, generally derived from living material from humans, animals, or microorganisms. These products treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, anemia, low white blood cell counts, inflammatory bowel disease, and various forms of cancer. Unlike other drugs known as small molecule drugs, biological products are generally highly complex in structure.
Part one of this two-part series, presented June 17, 2013, provided an overview of biological products and how they differ from small molecule drugs. This webinar (part two) addresses “biosimilars.” A biosimilar is a biological product that is similar to or interchangeable with another FDA-approved biological product. In 2010, the Obama Administration passed the Biologics Price Competition Innovation Act, designed to encourage the development of biosimilar biological products which can enhance competition and may lead to better patient access and lower cost to consumers.
Adobe Connect Webinar Information:
FDA Basics Biosimilars Webinar
View Adobe Connect Presentation
Biosimilar Biological Products (PDF – 632KB)(PDF - 632KB)
Download Presentation Slides
- What Should I Do If I See Violations of FDA’s Tobacco Products Rules?
- FDA Basics Webinar June 30, 2014: Over-The-Counter Medicines and Driving
- Webinar Friday, May 23 - Packing A Healthy Lunch
- Where do I go to report problems with flea and tick products?
- What does FDA regulate?
- Webinar Tuesday, May 13 - Temporary Tattoos: Raising Consumer Awareness of Safety
- FDA Basics Metrics: May 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: April 2014
- Who can I contact if my question wasn’t answered or I have additional questions in the future?
- FDA Basics Metrics: March 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: February 2014
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Is "over the counter (OTC)" medication safe for my child?
- FDA Basics Metrics: January 2014
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is a biological product?
- FDA Basics Metrics: December 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: November 2013
- Webinar: 20 Years Later – Returning to FDA to Regulate Tobacco
- FDA Basics Metrics: October 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: August 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: September 2013
How helpful was this information?