FDA Basics Webinar August 19, 2013: Biological Products, Part 2: Biosimilar Biological Products
Many of today’s important medications are biological products, generally derived from living material from humans, animals, or microorganisms. These products treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, anemia, low white blood cell counts, inflammatory bowel disease, and various forms of cancer. Unlike other drugs known as small molecule drugs, biological products are generally highly complex in structure.
Part one of this two-part series, presented June 17, 2013, provided an overview of biological products and how they differ from small molecule drugs. This webinar (part two) addresses “biosimilars.” A biosimilar is a biological product that is similar to or interchangeable with another FDA-approved biological product. In 2010, the Obama Administration passed the Biologics Price Competition Innovation Act, designed to encourage the development of biosimilar biological products which can enhance competition and may lead to better patient access and lower cost to consumers.
Adobe Connect Webinar Information:
FDA Basics Biosimilars Webinar
View Adobe Connect Presentation
Biosimilar Biological Products (PDF – 632KB)(PDF - 632KB)
Download Presentation Slides
- FDA Basics Metrics: February 2014
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Is "over the counter (OTC)" medication safe for my child?
- FDA Basics Metrics: January 2014
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is a biological product?
- FDA Basics Metrics: December 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: November 2013
- Webinar: 20 Years Later – Returning to FDA to Regulate Tobacco
- What doesn’t FDA regulate? How do I contact the agencies that do?
- FDA Basics Metrics: October 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: August 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: September 2013
- FDA Webinar on Tattoos and Permanent Makeup
- FDA Basics Webinar August 19, 2013: Biological Products, Part 2: Biosimilar Biological Products
- FDA Basics Metrics : June 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: July 2013
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- Webinar on FDA’s Safety Monitoring of Approved Vaccines
- What is the FDA doing to protect children from tobacco?
- Can you explain the approval process for animal drugs?
- Does FDA have any other food safety materials?
How helpful was this information?