FDA Basics Webinar August 19, 2013: Biological Products, Part 2: Biosimilar Biological Products
Many of today’s important medications are biological products, generally derived from living material from humans, animals, or microorganisms. These products treat conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, anemia, low white blood cell counts, inflammatory bowel disease, and various forms of cancer. Unlike other drugs known as small molecule drugs, biological products are generally highly complex in structure.
Part one of this two-part series, presented June 17, 2013, provided an overview of biological products and how they differ from small molecule drugs. This webinar (part two) addresses “biosimilars.” A biosimilar is a biological product that is similar to or interchangeable with another FDA-approved biological product. In 2010, the Obama Administration passed the Biologics Price Competition Innovation Act, designed to encourage the development of biosimilar biological products which can enhance competition and may lead to better patient access and lower cost to consumers.
Adobe Connect Webinar Information:
FDA Basics Biosimilars Webinar
View Adobe Connect Presentation
Biosimilar Biological Products (PDF – 632KB)(PDF - 632KB)
Download Presentation Slides
- Does FDA regulate dietary supplements for animals?
- Webinar: 20 Years Later – Returning to FDA to Regulate Tobacco
- Connect with Us: Using FDAs Digital Tools to Present, Participate and Personalize Tobacco Information
- FDA Center for Tobacco Products Inaugural Year and Looking Forward
- FDA Basics Metrics: February 2015
- FDA Basics Metrics: January 2015
- What are Veterinary Biologics (including vaccines) and is FDA responsible for these products?
- FDA Basics Metrics: December 2014
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA CBER Mini-Sentinel Program
- Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products
- FDA Basics Metrics: November 2014
- FDA Basics Webinar - November 24, 2014: Drug Shortages
- FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- FDA Basics Webinar June 30, 2014: Over-The-Counter Medicines and Driving
- Webinar Friday, May 23 - Packing A Healthy Lunch
- Webinar Tuesday, May 13 - Temporary Tattoos: Raising Consumer Awareness of Safety
- FDA Basics Webinar November 5, 2014: CVM’s Pet Food Reporting and Recall Process
- FDA Basics Metrics: October 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: Septemeber 2014
- Who can I contact if my question wasn’t answered or if I have additional questions in the future?
- What Should I Do If I See Violations of FDA’s Tobacco Products Rules?
- FDA Basics Metrics: August 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: July 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: June 2014
- Where do I go to report problems with flea and tick products?
How helpful was this information?