What should I know about infant formula?
FDA oversees manufacturers of infant formulas, and ensures that they comply with established nutritional requirements. However, it does not approve infant formulas before they can be marketed.
FDA does not approve infant formulas before they can be marketed. However, all formulas marketed in the United States must meet federal nutrient requirements. Infant formula manufacturers are required to register with FDA and provide the agency with a notification prior to marketing a new formula.
FDA monitors infant formula products as part of its responsibility and conducts yearly inspections of all facilities that manufacture infant formula, and collects and analyzes product samples. FDA also inspects new facilities. The agency is authorized to initiate a mandatory recall if it determines that an adulterated or misbranded infant formula presents a risk to human health.
Babies fed infant formulas do not need additional nutrients, unless they are being fed a low-iron formula.
Questions & Answers for Consumers Concerning Infant Formula
- What Should I Do If I See Violations of FDA’s Tobacco Products Rules?
- FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- FDA Basics Metrics: August 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: July 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: June 2014
- FDA Basics Webinar June 30, 2014: Over-The-Counter Medicines and Driving
- Webinar Friday, May 23 - Packing A Healthy Lunch
- Where do I go to report problems with flea and tick products?
- What does FDA regulate?
- Webinar Tuesday, May 13 - Temporary Tattoos: Raising Consumer Awareness of Safety
- FDA Basics Metrics: May 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: April 2014
- Who can I contact if my question wasn’t answered or I have additional questions in the future?
- FDA Basics Metrics: March 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: February 2014
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Is "over the counter (OTC)" medication safe for my child?
- FDA Basics Metrics: January 2014
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is a biological product?
- FDA Basics Metrics: December 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: November 2013
How helpful was this information?