FDA oversees manufacturers of infant formulas, and ensures that they comply with established nutritional requirements. However, it does not approve infant formulas before they can be marketed.
FDA does not approve infant formulas before they can be marketed. However, all formulas marketed in the United States must meet federal nutrient requirements. Infant formula manufacturers are required to register with FDA and provide the agency with a notification prior to marketing a new formula.
FDA monitors infant formula products as part of its responsibility and conducts yearly inspections of all facilities that manufacture infant formula, and collects and analyzes product samples. FDA also inspects new facilities. The agency is authorized to initiate a mandatory recall if it determines that an adulterated or misbranded infant formula presents a risk to human health.
Babies fed infant formulas do not need additional nutrients, unless they are being fed a low-iron formula.
Questions & Answers for Consumers Concerning Infant Formula
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- What can I do to help ensure I do not receive or take counterfeit medicine?
- Vaccines for Use During Pregnancy to Protect Young Infants from Disease – FDA Update
- FDA Basics Webinar: Practice the art of sun protection
- FDA Basics Webinar: "Mini-Sentinel," FDA's New Tool for Monitoring the Safety of FDA-Approved Medical Products
- FDA Basics Webinar - April 27, 2015: Drug Trials Snapshots
- FDA Webinar on Prescription Drug Shortages
- When previously recalled products are back on the shelves, how can I be sure that it is okay to buy them?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basics Webinar- August 31, 2015: Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- FDA Basics Webinar, June 17, 2013: Biological Products: Part 1
- Is it true that "OTC (Over the Counter)" products can prevent SIDS?
- FDA's Pesticide Program
- Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products
- Where can I find information about adverse reactions to a medicine prescribed for my child?
- Where can I find information about medicines prescribed for my child?
- FDA Webinar on Protecting Your Child's Health Through Safe and Effective Vaccines
- FDA Webinar on Safety of the Blood Supply
- How did the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act come about?
- Materials from Webinar on Access to Investigational Drugs
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?
- What is a docket? How do I submit comments to a docket? How do I find comments submitted to a docket?
- Can I buy medical products online? How do I know they're safe?