Are contact lenses a safe choice for a child?
Contact lenses are the number one choice for many people with vision correction needs. For many, contact lenses provide flexibility and convenience. There are many different lenses available for a variety of needs and preferences. Contact lenses can be used to correct a variety of vision disorders such as Myopia (nearsightedness), Hyperopia (farsightedness), Astigmatism, and Presbyopia (poor focusing with reading material and other near vision tasks).
Eye care professionals typically don't recommend contacts for kids until they are 12 or 13, because the risks are often greater than the benefits for younger children. Extended wear lenses are generally not recommended by eye care professionals for kids and teens and can increase the incidence of corneal ulcers, which can lead to permanent loss of vision. Although a bit more expensive, daily disposable lenses can reduce some of the risks since the wearer is using a new pair of lenses every day. Children with seasonal allergies are usually not good candidates for wearing contact lenses. The lenses may only increase the itching and burning caused by their allergies.
- What Should I Do If I See Violations of FDA’s Tobacco Products Rules?
- FDA Basics Webinar June 30, 2014: Over-The-Counter Medicines and Driving
- Webinar Friday, May 23 - Packing A Healthy Lunch
- Where do I go to report problems with flea and tick products?
- What does FDA regulate?
- Webinar Tuesday, May 13 - Temporary Tattoos: Raising Consumer Awareness of Safety
- FDA Basics Metrics: May 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: April 2014
- Who can I contact if my question wasn’t answered or I have additional questions in the future?
- FDA Basics Metrics: March 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: February 2014
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Is "over the counter (OTC)" medication safe for my child?
- FDA Basics Metrics: January 2014
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is a biological product?
- FDA Basics Metrics: December 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: November 2013
- Webinar: 20 Years Later – Returning to FDA to Regulate Tobacco
- FDA Basics Metrics: October 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: August 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: September 2013
How helpful was this information?