FDA Basics Webinar: A Brief Overview of Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS)
In 2007, a new law that gave FDA many new authorities and responsibilities to enhance drug safety was enacted. It's called the Food and Drug Administration Amendments Act- sometimes called "FDAAA"- and one of its provisions gave FDA the authority to require a Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy-(REMS) from manufacturers to ensure that the benefits of a drug or biological product outweigh its risks.
A REMs may be required by the FDA as part of the approval of a new product, or for an approved product when new safety information arises. Essentially, a REMS is a safety strategy to manage a known or potential serious risk associated with a medicine and to enable patients to have continued access to such medicines by managing their safe use.
Since medicines are very different from each other, each REMS for each medicine is also different.
This presentation discussed REMS and how they are used to help ensure that the benefits of certain medicines continue to outweigh their risks.
A Brief Overview of Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategies (REMS)
Adobe Connect link
FDA Basics Webinar: A Brief Overview of REMS(PDF - 1.2MB)
Download Presentation Slides
- Upcoming Webinar Thursday, August 28th - FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- FDA Basics Metrics: July 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: June 2014
- What Should I Do If I See Violations of FDA’s Tobacco Products Rules?
- FDA Basics Webinar June 30, 2014: Over-The-Counter Medicines and Driving
- Webinar Friday, May 23 - Packing A Healthy Lunch
- Where do I go to report problems with flea and tick products?
- What does FDA regulate?
- Webinar Tuesday, May 13 - Temporary Tattoos: Raising Consumer Awareness of Safety
- FDA Basics Metrics: May 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: April 2014
- Who can I contact if my question wasn’t answered or I have additional questions in the future?
- FDA Basics Metrics: March 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: February 2014
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Is "over the counter (OTC)" medication safe for my child?
- FDA Basics Metrics: January 2014
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is a biological product?
- FDA Basics Metrics: December 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: November 2013
- Webinar: 20 Years Later – Returning to FDA to Regulate Tobacco
How helpful was this information?