Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products
Consumers are impacted by FDA-regulated products every day. The food they eat, the medicines they take, and the medical devices used during medical procedures are all examples of FDA-regulated products. Conducting a recall is an effective way for a firm to remove or correct a violative, and possibly dangerous, product from the market. FDA advises firms on their recall strategies and monitors their recall to determine whether it is effective. FDA also publicizes recalls so consumers and health professionals can find out what types of products are being recalled.
FDA-hosted a webinar, Thursday, July 26, 2012 at 3p.m. ET, on the " Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products." Recall Coordinator Cecilia Wolyniak of FDA's Office of Enforcement provided information on how recalls are reported to FDA. She also discussed what FDA does to monitor and publicize the recalls.
Webinar Slides: Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products Presentation (PDF - 59KB)
Archived Webinar Version: : https://collaboration.fda.gov/p67962525/
Additional Resources: Recalls, Market Withdrawals & Safety Alerts
- FDA Basics Metrics: March 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: February 2014
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Is "over the counter (OTC)" medication safe for my child?
- FDA Basics Metrics: January 2014
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is a biological product?
- FDA Basics Metrics: December 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: November 2013
- Webinar: 20 Years Later – Returning to FDA to Regulate Tobacco
- What doesn’t FDA regulate? How do I contact the agencies that do?
- FDA Basics Metrics: October 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: August 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: September 2013
- FDA Webinar on Tattoos and Permanent Makeup
- FDA Basics Webinar August 19, 2013: Biological Products, Part 2: Biosimilar Biological Products
- FDA Basics Metrics : June 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: July 2013
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- Webinar on FDA’s Safety Monitoring of Approved Vaccines
- What is the FDA doing to protect children from tobacco?
- Can you explain the approval process for animal drugs?
How helpful was this information?