Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products
Consumers are impacted by FDA-regulated products every day. The food they eat, the medicines they take, and the medical devices used during medical procedures are all examples of FDA-regulated products. Conducting a recall is an effective way for a firm to remove or correct a violative, and possibly dangerous, product from the market. FDA advises firms on their recall strategies and monitors their recall to determine whether it is effective. FDA also publicizes recalls so consumers and health professionals can find out what types of products are being recalled.
FDA-hosted a webinar, Thursday, July 26, 2012 at 3p.m. ET, on the " Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products." Recall Coordinator Cecilia Wolyniak of FDA's Office of Enforcement provided information on how recalls are reported to FDA. She also discussed what FDA does to monitor and publicize the recalls.
Webinar Slides: Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products Presentation (PDF - 59KB)
Archived Webinar Version: : https://collaboration.fda.gov/p67962525/
Additional Resources: Recalls, Market Withdrawals & Safety Alerts
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a cosmetic product?
- When previously recalled products are back on the shelves, how can I be sure that it is okay to buy them?
- FDA Basics Webinar - September 23, 2015: The National Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring System (NARMS): Protecting the American Public from Foodborne Illness
- How does FDA recommend washing fruits and vegetables?
- How long can I keep my food in the refrigerator/on the shelf?
- What is FDA doing to lower/reduce the risk of childhood obesity?
- Food Allergies: Is my child at risk?
- How does FDA provide information about drug products currently under review for approval by the agency?
- Why are some drugs available as both a prescription and an over-the-counter drug?
- FDA Basics Webinar August 19, 2013: Biological Products, Part 2: Biosimilar Biological Products
- FDA Basics Webinar, June 17, 2013: Biological Products: Part 1
- FDA Basics Webinar on Advice to Dog Owners Whose Pets Take NSAIDS
- FDA Basics Webinar- August 31, 2015: Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics
- What is a biological product?
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- Webinar on FDA’s Safety Monitoring of Approved Vaccines
- What part of FDA regulates tobacco products?
- FDA Basics – OCTGT Webinar on Tissue Safety
- FDA Webinar on Safety of the Blood Supply
- FDA Webinar on Protecting Your Child's Health Through Safe and Effective Vaccines
- What are stem cells? How are they regulated?
- FDA Basics Webinar: State Enforcement Program
- How does FDA plan to enforce the restrictions on promotion and advertising established by the Tobacco Control Act?
- Does FDA have the authority to regulate tobacco products?
How helpful was this information?