Consumers are impacted by FDA-regulated products every day. The food they eat, the medicines they take, and the medical devices used during medical procedures are all examples of FDA-regulated products. Conducting a recall is an effective way for a firm to remove or correct a violative, and possibly dangerous, product from the market. FDA advises firms on their recall strategies and monitors their recall to determine whether it is effective. FDA also publicizes recalls so consumers and health professionals can find out what types of products are being recalled.
FDA-hosted a webinar, Thursday, July 26, 2012 at 3p.m. ET, on the "Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products." Recall Coordinator Cecilia Wolyniak of FDA's Office of Enforcement provided information on how recalls are reported to FDA. She also discussed what FDA does to monitor and publicize the recalls.
Webinar Slides: Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products Presentation (PDF - 59KB)
Archived Webinar Version: https://collaboration.fda.gov/p67962525/
Additional Resources: Recalls, Market Withdrawals & Safety Alerts
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- What can I do to help ensure I do not receive or take counterfeit medicine?
- Vaccines for Use During Pregnancy to Protect Young Infants from Disease – FDA Update
- FDA Basics Webinar: Practice the art of sun protection
- FDA Basics Webinar: "Mini-Sentinel," FDA's New Tool for Monitoring the Safety of FDA-Approved Medical Products
- FDA Basics Webinar - April 27, 2015: Drug Trials Snapshots
- FDA Webinar on Prescription Drug Shortages
- When previously recalled products are back on the shelves, how can I be sure that it is okay to buy them?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basics Webinar- August 31, 2015: Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- FDA Basics Webinar, June 17, 2013: Biological Products: Part 1
- Is it true that "OTC (Over the Counter)" products can prevent SIDS?
- FDA's Pesticide Program
- Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products
- Where can I find information about adverse reactions to a medicine prescribed for my child?
- Where can I find information about medicines prescribed for my child?
- FDA Webinar on Protecting Your Child's Health Through Safe and Effective Vaccines
- FDA Webinar on Safety of the Blood Supply
- How did the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act come about?
- Materials from Webinar on Access to Investigational Drugs
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?
- What is a docket? How do I submit comments to a docket? How do I find comments submitted to a docket?
- Can I buy medical products online? How do I know they're safe?