FDA Basics Webinar on Advice to Dog Owners Whose Pets Take NSAIDS
You probably take aspirin, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen every day and don’t even think twice about it. NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, help us get rid of our weekend-warrior pains, osteoarthritis aches, and daily soreness. Did you know there are NSAIDs specifically-created and FDA-approved for your dog, cat, and horse? These NSAIDs also help get rid of your furry friends’ aches and pains. The NSAIDs we take can cause us to have side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fluid retention, kidney failure, liver failure, and ulcers. Unfortunately, the veterinary NSAIDs we give our furry friends can also cause them to have similar side effects.
FDA hosted a webinar “Advice to Dog Owners Whose Pets Take NSAIDs” on Wednesday, February 22 at 2:00 p.m. ET. We discussed the broad overview of the science behind NSAIDs for pets, the potential side effects that are possible, and what you should do as a pet owner if you suspect your pet is having a reaction to veterinary NSAIDs.
Archived version of the presentation: https://collaboration.fda.gov/p38132361/
- Where do I go to report problems with flea and tick products?
- How do I report a pet food complaint?
- How do I report an adverse drug experience (ADE) in an animal?
- Do you have a list of discontinued veterinary drugs?
- Is it safe for me to provide my pet with a raw food diet?
- Are the pet medications sold online the same as those I get directly from the veterinarian?
- Where can I get information on a drug my veterinarian prescribed?
- Is it safe for me to give my pet pain relief products approved for use in humans such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen sodium?
- Can you explain the approval process for animal drugs?
- Does FDA regulate dietary supplements for animals?
- Is FDA responsible for regulating pesticides that are used in animal products?
- What are Veterinary Biologics (including vaccines) and is FDA responsible for these products?
- What is the role of the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) in FDA and what does CVM regulate?
- FDA Basics Webinar on Advice to Dog Owners Whose Pets Take NSAIDS
- FDA Basics Video: Tracey Forfa on the Human-Animal Bond
- FDA Basic Video: Margaret Oeller (Video)
How helpful was this information?