FDA Webinar on Tattoos and Permanent Makeup
DATE: March 15, 2011
TIME: 2:00 pm
LENGTH: 30 minutes
What do you know about the safety of tattoos and permanent makeup?
On Tuesday, March 15th, at 2 p.m. ET, FDA hosted a webinar on tattoos and permanent makeup. Bhakti Petigara Harp, Ph.D., of the Office of Cosmetics and Colors, Division of Color Certification and Technology in FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, provided an overview of the composition of tattoo and permanent makeup inks and the pigments used in them, as well as their regulatory status. Dr. Petigara Harp talked about problems that have occurred with the use of these inks, such as allergic reactions, infections, and scarring, and addressed FDA's response to these occurrences. She also discussed misrepresentation of these inks and pigments as "FDA approved."
Webinar Slides: Tattoos and Permanent Makeup (PDF, 588KB)
- FDA Webinar on Tattoos and Permanent Makeup
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a cosmetic product?
- Does FDA approve the color additives used in cosmetics? If so, how does FDA determine their safety?
- How FDA Evaluates Regulated Products: Cosmetics
- FDA Basics Video: Ensuring That Cosmetics Used in the United States Are Safe
- FDA Basics Webinar on Reporting Adverse Events Related to Cosmetics
- Are henna tattoos safe?
- Is there lead in lipstick?
- Are all personal care products regulated as cosmetics?
- Are cosmetics approved by FDA?
How helpful was this information?