Your veterinarian is the best source of information about your pet’s health. You and your veterinarian should discuss how to best treat your pet for any illness.
If the label on the supplement suggests that the product can “treat” or “prevent” a disease, the manufacturer is making a drug claim and the supplement should be regulated by FDA as an animal drug. If the product is an animal drug but has not been reviewed under FDA’s approval process, it is an unapproved animal drug. Unapproved animal drugs may not meet FDA’s strict standards for safety and effectiveness. With no review by FDA, there is no way for pet owners and veterinarians to know if the supplement is safe or if the claims on the label are true.
- FDA Basics Webinar on Advice to Dog Owners Whose Pets Take NSAIDS
- FDA Basics Webinar- August 31, 2015: Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics
- What is a biological product?
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- Webinar on FDA’s Safety Monitoring of Approved Vaccines
- What part of FDA regulates tobacco products?
- FDA Basics – OCTGT Webinar on Tissue Safety
- FDA Webinar on Safety of the Blood Supply
- FDA Webinar on Protecting Your Child's Health Through Safe and Effective Vaccines
- What are stem cells? How are they regulated?
- FDA Basics Webinar: State Enforcement Program
- How does FDA plan to enforce the restrictions on promotion and advertising established by the Tobacco Control Act?
- Does FDA have the authority to regulate tobacco products?
- What are the priorities of the Center for Tobacco Products?
- What is the main goal in regulating tobacco products?
- What products are considered to be tobacco products as defined by the tobacco control act?
- What products are not considered to be tobacco products as defined by the tobacco control act?
- Is FDA going to ban tobacco?
- How does the regulation of tobacco products differ from FDA’s regulation of drugs or medical devices?
- What are some of the key regulatory timelines associated with the tobacco control act?
- What will FDA do to curb tobacco use among children and adolescents?
- What are the new Regulations Restricting the Sale and Distribution of Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco to Protect Children and Adolescents?
- What are FDA’s Regulations for Flavored Tobacco?
- What safety information is available for FDA-regulated medical products and foods?
- What Should I Do If I See Violations of FDA’s Tobacco Products Rules?
Rate this page
If you would like to ask a specific question, please visit our "Contact Us" page for more information about how to contact FDA.