I read online that a supplement can treat my dog’s illness. Is the supplement safe to give to my pet?
Your veterinarian is the best source of information about your pet’s health. You and your veterinarian should discuss how to best treat your pet for any illness.
If the label on the supplement suggests that the product can “treat” or “prevent” a disease, the manufacturer is making a drug claim and the supplement should be regulated by FDA as an animal drug. If the product is an animal drug but has not been reviewed under FDA’s approval process, it is an unapproved animal drug. Unapproved animal drugs may not meet FDA’s strict standards for safety and effectiveness. With no review by FDA, there is no way for pet owners and veterinarians to know if the supplement is safe or if the claims on the label are true.
- Who can I contact if my question wasn’t answered or I have additional questions in the future?
- FDA Basics Metrics: March 2014
- FDA Basics Metrics: February 2014
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Is "over the counter (OTC)" medication safe for my child?
- FDA Basics Metrics: January 2014
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is a biological product?
- FDA Basics Metrics: December 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: November 2013
- Webinar: 20 Years Later – Returning to FDA to Regulate Tobacco
- What doesn’t FDA regulate? How do I contact the agencies that do?
- FDA Basics Metrics: October 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: August 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: September 2013
- FDA Webinar on Tattoos and Permanent Makeup
- FDA Basics Webinar August 19, 2013: Biological Products, Part 2: Biosimilar Biological Products
- FDA Basics Metrics : June 2013
- FDA Basics Metrics: July 2013
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- Webinar on FDA’s Safety Monitoring of Approved Vaccines
- What is the FDA doing to protect children from tobacco?
How helpful was this information?