What can I do to help ensure I do not receive or take counterfeit medicine?
- Purchase ONLY from state-licensed pharmacies that are located in the United States, where FDA and state authorities can assure the quality of drug manufacturing, packaging, distribution and labeling. This way, you know your medicine is coming from a reputable source, and you can get help if you have any problems with your medicine.
- If you buy over the Internet:
- Check to see if the Internet pharmacy is licensed, is in good standing, and is located in the United States. Contact your local state board of pharmacy or the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) at http://www.nabp.net or 1-847-698-6227, or;
- Check to see if an Internet pharmacy site has the VIPPS Seal, the seal of the Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites Accreditation Program. This program was established by the NABP to help protect you and guide you through Internet pharmacy shopping. Legitimate Internet pharmacies that carry the VIPPS Seal are listed at http://www.nabp.net/programs/accreditation/vipps/.
- Know your medicine. Any time you get a prescription refilled, check the color, texture, taste and shape of the medicine. Anything different? Talk to your pharmacist.
Show all related FDA Basics Questions
- FDA Basics Webinar: Practice the art of sun protection
- FDA Basics Webinar: "Mini-Sentinel," FDA's New Tool for Monitoring the Safety of FDA-Approved Medical Products
- FDA Basics Webinar - April 27, 2015: Drug Trials Snapshots
- FDA Webinar on Prescription Drug Shortages
- When previously recalled products are back on the shelves, how can I be sure that it is okay to buy them?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basics Webinar- August 31, 2015: Food Safety: Bad Weather Basics
- July: CBER's Direct Recall Classification Program
- FDA Basics Webinar, June 17, 2013: Biological Products: Part 1
- Is it true that "OTC (Over the Counter)" products can prevent SIDS?
- FDA's Pesticide Program
- Recall Process for FDA-Regulated Products
- Where can I find information about adverse reactions to a medicine prescribed for my child?
- Where can I find information about medicines prescribed for my child?
- FDA Webinar on Protecting Your Child's Health Through Safe and Effective Vaccines
- FDA Webinar on Safety of the Blood Supply
- How did the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act come about?
- Materials from Webinar on Access to Investigational Drugs
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?
- What is a docket? How do I submit comments to a docket? How do I find comments submitted to a docket?
- Can I buy medical products online? How do I know they're safe?
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA CBER Mini-Sentinel Program
- FDA Basics Webinar - November 24, 2014: Drug Shortages
- FDA Basics Webinar: Role of FDA in HIV Diagnosis