FDA Basic Video: Dianne Murphy Discusses Effective and Proper Uses of Medicines and Devices in Children (Video)
What is the Office of Pediatric Therapeutics?
Dianne Murphy, MD, is the Director of FDA’s Office of Pediatric Therapeutics (OPT). The mission of OPT is to enforce a Congressional mandate that assures access for children to innovative, safe and effective medical products. Historically, many medical products have not been tested for use in children, leading to an increase in adverse events and the use of ineffective products. “The Office of Pediatric Therapeutics is supposed to help the FDA work to develop the knowledge that is needed to use medicines and devices properly in children,” says Murphy. While the Office of Pediatric Therapeutics is taking significant steps by implementing regulatory science initiatives by working with small business and industry entities, Murphy explains that “…one of the biggest areas that remains almost completely unstudied is neonates to prematures.” She further notes that young children and neonates require the development of a new directional endpoint that can better help us to not treat children with our best guess, but with knowledge.
- What is a biological product?
- Webinar on FDA’s Safety Monitoring of Approved Vaccines
- FDA Basic Video: Dianne Murphy Discusses Effective and Proper Uses of Medicines and Devices in Children (Video)
- FDA Basic Video: Norman Baylor Discusses Vaccines (Video)
- FDA Webinar on Safety of the Blood Supply
- FDA Webinar on Protecting Your Child's Health Through Safe and Effective Vaccines
- What are stem cells? How are they regulated?
- What is thimerosal? Is it safe when used in some vaccines?
- How can I get my name removed from a donor deferral list?
- How does FDA regulate tissue products? What safeguards are in place for recipients?
- How do I know if I’m eligible to donate blood?
- How do I report an adverse event related to a vaccine?
- What is the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS)?
- How does FDA assess the safety of vaccines?
- What is the approval process for a biological product?
How helpful was this information?