Resources for You
What is a financial conflict of interest waiver?
When FDA determines that an advisory committee member has a financial conflict of interest, the agency may grant a waiver that allows the member to participate in an advisory committee meeting if certain criteria and policies are met.
In general, FDA may grant a waiver if the member's expertise is considered essential to the committee’s discussions and recommendations. FDA must also take into consideration a cap on the number of waivers that can be granted each year. FDA searches for experts who have the necessary expertise without conflicts of interest; yet, in some cases, many of the top authorities in specialized scientific fields may have a conflict of interest.
When a waiver is proposed for a member to participate in a particular meeting, FDA follows a rigorous review process. When FDA grants a waiver, the financial interests associated with the waiver are posted on FDA’s website along with the reasons for granting the waiver.
FDA’s process provides the opportunity for the agency to gain access to needed experts to obtain the best scientific and technical advice while also carefully assessing any potential for a conflict of interest.
- What safety information is available for FDA-regulated medical products and foods?
- How do I report a problem with an FDA-regulated product?
- How can I share my ideas and suggestions with FDA?
- Where should I go to find consumer information on www.FDA.gov?
- FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- What does FDA regulate?
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is the difference between the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), FDA regulations, and FDA guidance?
- What does FDA do?
- How is FDA organized?
- How many people are employed by FDA and in what areas do they work?
- What non-government websites does FDA recommend?
- What other government-supported websites does FDA recommend as reliable sources for health-related information?
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA Office of Minority Health - Steps to Address Health Disparities
- How can the public request documents from FDA?
- Materials from Webinar on Inspection Process
- FDA Webinar on Foreign Inspections
- FDA MedWatch Webinar
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basic Video: Kathleen Uhl on the Office of Women's Health (Video)
- Why can’t I import some drugs that are approved and sold in the United States?
- Is it legal for me to personally import drugs?
- What is a docket? How do I submit comments to a docket? How do I find comments submitted to a docket?
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?
How helpful was this information?