Resources for You
What is a conflict of interest?
A conflict of interest is of a financial nature. FDA reviews all financial interests related to the particular topic of a meeting to determine if a conflict exists. If the financial interest is not related to the meeting topic, a conflict of interest may not exist. In order to be considered a financial conflict of interest, FDA determines whether the discussion at the meeting or outcomes of the meeting will have a direct and predictable effect on the individual’s interest.
For example, a researcher employed at a major university is appointed to serve on an advisory committee that will evaluate the safety and effectiveness of a new medical device to regulate arrhythmic heartbeats. The device is being developed by a company that also has contracted with the researcher’s university to assist in developing another medical device related to kidney dialysis. There is no evidence that the advisory committee's determinations concerning the medical device under review will affect the company’s contract with the university to develop the kidney dialysis device. The researcher may participate in the committee's deliberations because those deliberations will not have a direct and predictable effect on the financial interests of the researcher or his or her employer.
- How can I share my ideas and suggestions with FDA?
- Where should I go to find consumer information on www.FDA.gov?
- FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- What does FDA regulate?
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is the difference between the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), FDA regulations, and FDA guidance?
- What does FDA do?
- How is FDA organized?
- How many people are employed by FDA and in what areas do they work?
- What non-government websites does FDA recommend?
- What other government-supported websites does FDA recommend as reliable sources for health-related information?
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA Office of Minority Health - Steps to Address Health Disparities
- How can the public request documents from FDA?
- Materials from Webinar on Inspection Process
- FDA Webinar on Foreign Inspections
- FDA MedWatch Webinar
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basic Video: Kathleen Uhl on the Office of Women's Health (Video)
- Why can’t I import some drugs that are approved and sold in the United States?
- Is it legal for me to personally import drugs?
- What is a docket? How do I submit comments to a docket? How do I find comments submitted to a docket?
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?
- How can I find out the status of my FOIA request?
- What is a recall?
How helpful was this information?