People nominated as scientific members must be technically qualified experts in their field, such as
- clinical medicine
- biological and physical sciences
- food sciences
They also must have experience interpreting and analyzing detailed scientific data, and understanding its public health significance.
For example, people nominated for the Clinical Chemistry and Clinical Toxicology Devices Panel in the Center for Devices and Radiological Health should be doctors of medicine or philosophy with experience in clinical chemistry, clinical toxicology, clinical pathology, clinical laboratory medicine, endocrinology, or oncology.
In another example, people nominated for the Drug Safety and Risk Management Advisory Committee in the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research should be knowledgeable in risk communication, risk management, drug safety, and medical, behavioral, and biological sciences as they apply to risk management and drug abuse.
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- How did the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act come about?
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?
- What is a docket? How do I submit comments to a docket? How do I find comments submitted to a docket?
- Can I buy medical products online? How do I know they're safe?
- FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- What non-government websites does FDA recommend?
- What other government-supported websites does FDA recommend as reliable sources for health-related information?
- Where should I go to find consumer information on www.FDA.gov?
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA Office of Minority Health - Steps to Address Health Disparities
- How do I report a problem with an FDA-regulated product?
- Can I tell if FDA has approved a product by looking at the label?
- FDA MedWatch Webinar
- FDA Webinar on Foreign Inspections
- How is a potential advisory committee member screened for conflicts of interests?
- What is a financial conflict of interest waiver?
- What is a conflict of interest?
- How does an individual become a member of an FDA advisory committee?
- What are the qualifications of a scientific member of an advisory committee?
- What is an FDA Advisory Committee?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- How many people are employed by FDA and in what areas do they work?
- Materials from Webinar on Inspection Process
- Why are animals used for testing medical products?
- How can I share my ideas and suggestions with FDA?