DATE: Tuesday, Agust 10, 2010
TIME: 1:30 PM ET
Understanding food labels can help you make wise choices – if you know what to look for. What’s % DV and why is it important? What’s the relationship between serving size and total calories?
The FDA hosted a webinar "Using a Food Label to Make Smart Food Choices", Tuesday, August 10th at 1:30 PM ET. The featured speaker, Essie Yamini, who is a nutritionist and a Registered Dietitian with a Ph.D. in nutritional biochemistry, works with the science review team at FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Dr. Yamini gave an overview and answered questions about the Nutrition Facts Label.
Download Presentation Slides:Using the Nutrition Facts Label to Make Healthy Food Choices (PDF, 599KB)
Web address for viewing: https://collaboration.fda.gov/p18708453/
- When previously recalled products are back on the shelves, how can I be sure that it is okay to buy them?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- FDA Basics Webinar: Food Emergency Response Network (FERN)
- FDA Basics Webinar - Using a Food Label to Make Smart Food Choices
- What is the meaning of 'natural' on the label of food?
- How does FDA recommend washing fruits and vegetables?
- How long can I keep my food in the refrigerator/on the shelf?
- How do the activities of USDA's Food Safety Inspection Service differ from the activities of FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition?
- Has Stevia been approved by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- How do I report a complaint about restaurant food?
- How long can food that is supposed to be refrigerated stay outside of the refrigerator and still be safe to eat?
- What are the different types of fat that a food can contain? How are they different?
- What refined Stevia preparations have been evaluated by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
- Who makes sure the food I buy at the grocery store is safe to eat?
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a dietary supplement?
- Which foods should I stay away from during pregnancy?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Is Stevia an 'FDA approved' sweetener?
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- If a food is labeled "organic" according to the USDA, is it still subject to the laws and regulations enforced by FDA?
- How often does FDA inspect food manufacturing facilities?
- Why isn't the amount of caffeine a product contains required on a food label?
- Does FDA have any other food safety materials?
- Does FDA have a definition for the term "organic" on food labels?