One year ago, President Obama signed the historic Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act (Tobacco Control Act). Under the Tobacco Control Act, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration obtained authority to regulate tobacco products, with a special emphasis on preventing their use by children and youth and reducing the impact of tobacco on public health. The Act authorizes the FDA, among other things, to set tobacco product standards, require product listing and registration, revise health warning labels, create manufacturing standards, and review products intended to modify the risk of tobacco use.
On Tuesday, June 29th the FDA hosted a webinar on the Center for Tobacco Products Inaugural Year in Review and Looking Forward. The featured speaker, Lawrence R. Deyton, M.S.P.H., M.D., former Director, Center for Tobacco Products, discussed several important steps FDA is taking in a coordinated effort to prevent our children from becoming the next generation of Americans to die prematurely from tobacco use and ultimately reducing death and disease associated with tobacco use. After the presentation there was an opportunity to ask questions.
*Updated Version* Download Center for Tobacco Products presentation slides (PDF)
Web address for viewing the archived presentation with audio: https://collaboration.fda.gov/p21255446/
- What part of FDA regulates tobacco products?
- FDA Basics Webinar: State Enforcement Program
- How does FDA plan to enforce the restrictions on promotion and advertising established by the Tobacco Control Act?
- Does FDA have the authority to regulate tobacco products?
- What are the priorities of the Center for Tobacco Products?
- What is the main goal in regulating tobacco products?
- What products are considered to be tobacco products as defined by the tobacco control act?
- What products are not considered to be tobacco products as defined by the tobacco control act?
- Is FDA going to ban tobacco?
- How does the regulation of tobacco products differ from FDA’s regulation of drugs or medical devices?
- What are some of the key regulatory timelines associated with the tobacco control act?
- What will FDA do to curb tobacco use among children and adolescents?
- What are the new Regulations Restricting the Sale and Distribution of Cigarettes and Smokeless Tobacco to Protect Children and Adolescents?
- What are FDA’s Regulations for Flavored Tobacco?
- What Should I Do If I See Violations of FDA’s Tobacco Products Rules?
- FDA Center for Tobacco Products Inaugural Year and Looking Forward
- FDA Basic Video: Lawrence Deyton Discusses Tobacco (Video)
Rate this page
If you would like to ask a specific question, please visit our "Contact Us" page for more information about how to contact FDA.