At this writing, FDA has not objected to the use of these highly refined Stevia preparations in food products. Refer to the following Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS) notices:
But, these products are not Stevia. In general, Rebaudioside A differs from Stevia in that it is a highly purified product. Products marketed as "Stevia" are whole leaf Stevia or Stevia extracts of which Rebaudioside A is a component.
The GRAS notification program and contact information is available in FDA’s Web page.
- When previously recalled products are back on the shelves, how can I be sure that it is okay to buy them?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- FDA Basics Webinar: Food Emergency Response Network (FERN)
- FDA Basics Webinar - Using a Food Label to Make Smart Food Choices
- What is the meaning of 'natural' on the label of food?
- How does FDA recommend washing fruits and vegetables?
- How long can I keep my food in the refrigerator/on the shelf?
- How do the activities of USDA's Food Safety Inspection Service differ from the activities of FDA's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition?
- Has Stevia been approved by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- How do I report a complaint about restaurant food?
- How long can food that is supposed to be refrigerated stay outside of the refrigerator and still be safe to eat?
- What are the different types of fat that a food can contain? How are they different?
- What refined Stevia preparations have been evaluated by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Who makes sure the food I buy at the grocery store is safe to eat?
- Which foods should I stay away from during pregnancy?
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a dietary supplement?
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- If a food is labeled "organic" according to the USDA, is it still subject to the laws and regulations enforced by FDA?
- Is Stevia an 'FDA approved' sweetener?
- Why isn't the amount of caffeine a product contains required on a food label?
- How often does FDA inspect food manufacturing facilities?
- Does FDA have any other food safety materials?
- Does FDA inspect grocery stores, restaurants, or dollar stores?