Is Stevia an 'FDA approved' sweetener?
FDA has not permitted the use of whole-leaf Stevia or crude Stevia extracts because these substances have not been approved for use as a food additive. FDA does not consider their use in food to be GRAS in light of reports in the literature that raise concerns about the use of these substances. Among these concerns are control of blood sugar and effects on the reproductive, cardiovascular, and renal systems. Food additives and GRAS affirmation petition or pre-petition submissions for the use of such substances that FDA has received in the past have not contained the data and information necessary to establish the safe use of these substances as ingredients in food.
- Does FDA have any other food safety materials?
- Does FDA have a definition for the term "organic" on food labels?
- Did you know that a store can sell food past the expiration date?
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a dietary supplement?
- What refined Stevia preparations have been evaluated by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
- What is the meaning of 'natural' on the label of food?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- If a food is labeled "organic" according to the USDA, is it still subject to the laws and regulations enforced by FDA?
- Is Stevia an 'FDA approved' sweetener?
- How do I report a complaint about restaurant food?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- FDA Basics Webinar: Food Emergency Response Network (FERN)
- FDA Basics Webinar - Using a Food Label to Make Smart Food Choices
- FDA Basics Video: Michael R. Taylor on Food Safety and Nutrition
- Are foods made with "organic" ingredients safer than those made with ingredients from other sources?
- How do the activities of USDA’s Food Safety Inspection Service differ from the activities of FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition?
- Who makes sure the food I buy at the grocery store is safe to eat?
- Does FDA approve the color additives used in food? If so, how does FDA determine their safety?
- How does FDA recommend washing fruits and vegetables?
- How long can I keep my food in the refrigerator/on the shelf?
- Does FDA inspect grocery stores, restaurants, or dollar stores?
- Which foods should I stay away from during pregnancy?
- Has Stevia been approved by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
- Why isn't the amount of caffeine a product contains required on a food label?
- How long can food that is supposed to be refrigerated stay outside of the refrigerator and still be safe to eat?
How helpful was this information?