Resources for You
When and why was FDA formed?
Though FDA can trace its origins back to the creation of the Agricultural Division in the Patent Office in 1848, its origins as a federal consumer protection agency began with the passage of the 1906 Pure Food and Drugs Act. This law was the culmination of about 100 bills over a quarter-century that aimed to rein in long-standing, serious abuses in the consumer product marketplace.
Federal public health protection was vigorously advocated by Harvey Washington Wiley, who at the time was chief chemist of the Bureau of Chemistry of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, FDA’s predecessor. The 1906 Act was passed thanks to his efforts and in response to the public outrage at the shockingly unhygienic conditions in the Chicago stockyards that were described in Upton Sinclair’s book “The Jungle."
Eventually, the position of chief chemist of the Bureau of Chemistry evolved into that of the commissioner of food and drugs.
- How can I share my ideas and suggestions with FDA?
- Where should I go to find consumer information on www.FDA.gov?
- FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- What does FDA regulate?
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is the difference between the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), FDA regulations, and FDA guidance?
- What does FDA do?
- How is FDA organized?
- How many people are employed by FDA and in what areas do they work?
- What non-government websites does FDA recommend?
- What other government-supported websites does FDA recommend as reliable sources for health-related information?
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA Office of Minority Health - Steps to Address Health Disparities
- How can the public request documents from FDA?
- Materials from Webinar on Inspection Process
- FDA Webinar on Foreign Inspections
- FDA MedWatch Webinar
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basic Video: Kathleen Uhl on the Office of Women's Health (Video)
- Why can’t I import some drugs that are approved and sold in the United States?
- Is it legal for me to personally import drugs?
- What is a docket? How do I submit comments to a docket? How do I find comments submitted to a docket?
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?
- How can I find out the status of my FOIA request?
- What is a recall?
How helpful was this information?