Materials from the Webinar on Indoor Tanning: The Risks of UV Radiation
Do you have questions about Indoor Tanning? Did you know that FDA regulates tanning beds?
On Wednesday, May 26, FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health hosted a 30-minute Webinar on Indoor Tanning and the Risks of UV Radiation.
Featured speakers, Sharon Miller, M.S.E.E., FDA Ultraviolet Radiation Expert and Varsha Savalia, M.P.H, FDA Tanning Products Compliance Officer from the Division of Mammography Quality and Radiation Programs, Center for Devices and Radiological Health, explained what UV radiation is, discussed the risks of UV radiation, and described steps to reduce the risks associated with the use of tanning beds. After the presentation, there was an opportunity to ask questions.
Web address for viewing archived presentation with audio (the audio is temporarily unavailable from 1:30 - 2:35): https://collaboration.fda.gov/p74718462/
- Who can I contact if my question wasn’t answered or if I have additional questions in the future?
- What products are regulated as electronic products that emit radiation?
- Where can I find more information about a specific type of product?
- What routine requirements apply to manufacturers of radiation-emitting electronic products?
- Does FDA approve radiation-emitting electronic products?
- How does FDA regulate radiation-emitting electronic products?
- What happens when a radiation-emitting electronic product is also a medical device or is used for irradiation or inspection of food?
- Materials from the Webinar on Indoor Tanning: The Risks of UV Radiation
- How can I find out how much radiation I receive during an x-ray?
- What should I do before getting a diagnostic medical x-ray?
- What is FDA's role in overseeing and regulating radiation-emitting electronic products?
- What is a radiation-emitting electronic product?
How helpful was this information?