What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a cosmetic product?
You should report the problem to your doctor, the cosmetic manufacturer, and FDA through the MedWatch Reporting Program or the district office consumer complaint coordinator for your geographic area. You also can request a MedWatch form by calling 1-800-332-1088.
To learn more, see Bad Reaction to Cosmetics? Tell FDA.
- How FDA Evaluates Regulated Products: Cosmetics
- FDA Basics Webinar on Reporting Adverse Events Related to Cosmetics
- FDA Webinar on Tattoos and Permanent Makeup
- Is there lead in lipstick?
- Does FDA approve the color additives used in cosmetics? If so, how does FDA determine their safety?
- Are henna tattoos safe?
- Are cosmetics approved by FDA?
- Are all personal care products regulated as cosmetics?
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a cosmetic product?
- FDA Basics Video: Ensuring That Cosmetics Used in the United States Are Safe
How helpful was this information?