Resources for You
Can I buy medical products online? How do I know they’re safe?
While buying medical products online can be easy and convenient, FDA urges you to be very careful. Some Web sites sell products that may not be safe to use.
Before buying from a Web site, look for the VIPPS (Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice Sites) seal. The VIPPS seal means that the Internet pharmacy is safe to use because it has met state licensure requirements, as well as other criteria of the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy. See VIPPS Program for a list of pharmacies that display the seal.
Other tips for buying online:
- Don't buy from sites that will sell you prescription drugs if you don't have a prescription.
- Use sites that have a pharmacist to answer your questions online.
- Only buy from sites based in the United States.
- Go to your doctor or clinic before using any medicine for the first time.
- What safety information is available for FDA-regulated medical products and foods?
- How do I report a problem with an FDA-regulated product?
- How can I share my ideas and suggestions with FDA?
- Where should I go to find consumer information on www.FDA.gov?
- FDA's MedWatch Program: Voluntarily Reporting Problems to the FDA
- What does FDA regulate?
- What does FDA inspect?
- When and why was FDA formed?
- What is the difference between the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act), FDA regulations, and FDA guidance?
- What does FDA do?
- How is FDA organized?
- How many people are employed by FDA and in what areas do they work?
- What non-government websites does FDA recommend?
- What other government-supported websites does FDA recommend as reliable sources for health-related information?
- FDA Basics Webinar: FDA Office of Minority Health - Steps to Address Health Disparities
- How can the public request documents from FDA?
- Materials from Webinar on Inspection Process
- FDA Webinar on Foreign Inspections
- FDA MedWatch Webinar
- What is FDA Basics for Industry?
- FDA Basic Video: Kathleen Uhl on the Office of Women's Health (Video)
- Why can’t I import some drugs that are approved and sold in the United States?
- Is it legal for me to personally import drugs?
- What is a docket? How do I submit comments to a docket? How do I find comments submitted to a docket?
- How do I find the latest information on the Web site? How do I sign up for e-mails and alerts?
How helpful was this information?