Are cosmetics approved by FDA?
FDA does not approve cosmetics, although we do approve color additives used in cosmetics. It is the responsibility of cosmetic manufacturers to ensure, before marketing their products, that the products are safe when used as directed in their label or under customary conditions of use.
To learn more, see FDA Authority Over Cosmetics.
- FDA Webinar on Tattoos and Permanent Makeup
- Does FDA approve the color additives used in cosmetics? If so, how does FDA determine their safety?
- How FDA Evaluates Regulated Products: Cosmetics
- FDA Basics Video: Ensuring That Cosmetics Used in the United States Are Safe
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a cosmetic product?
- FDA Basics Webinar on Reporting Adverse Events Related to Cosmetics
- Are henna tattoos safe?
- Is there lead in lipstick?
- Are all personal care products regulated as cosmetics?
- Are cosmetics approved by FDA?
How helpful was this information?