FDA does not approve cosmetics, although we do approve color additives used in cosmetics. It is the responsibility of cosmetic manufacturers to ensure, before marketing their products, that the products are safe when used as directed in their label or under customary conditions of use.
To learn more, see FDA Authority Over Cosmetics.
- How FDA Evaluates Regulated Products: Cosmetics
- FDA Basics Webinar on Reporting Adverse Events Related to Cosmetics
- FDA Webinar on Tattoos and Permanent Makeup
- Is there lead in lipstick?
- Does FDA approve the color additives used in cosmetics? If so, how does FDA determine their safety?
- Are henna tattoos safe?
- Are cosmetics approved by FDA?
- Are all personal care products regulated as cosmetics?
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a cosmetic product?
- FDA Basics Video: Ensuring That Cosmetics Used in the United States Are Safe
Rate this page
If you would like to ask a specific question, please visit our "Contact Us" page for more information about how to contact FDA.