Does FDA inspect grocery stores, restaurants, or dollar stores?
Inspections and licensing of restaurants and grocery stores are typically handled by local and county health departments. However, FDA serves as a scientific and technical consultant to state and local regulatory agencies by publishing the FDA Food Code, which sets forth model provisions for keeping food safe in restaurant, cafeteria, and institutional food operations. Most states adopt these model provisions as legal requirements applicable to restaurants and food-service establishments within their jurisdictions.
- What is the Reportable Food Registry?
- How do I report a complaint about food bought in a supermarket?
- What Rules Apply to Persons that Want to Start a Food Business?
- Does FDA have any other food safety materials?
- Does FDA have a definition for the term "organic" on food labels?
- Did you know that a store can sell food past the expiration date?
- What should I do if I have a serious reaction (side effect) to a dietary supplement?
- What refined Stevia preparations have been evaluated by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
- What is the meaning of 'natural' on the label of food?
- What do consumers need to know about the recall of shell eggs?
- If a food is labeled "organic" according to the USDA, is it still subject to the laws and regulations enforced by FDA?
- Is Stevia an 'FDA approved' sweetener?
- How do I report a complaint about restaurant food?
- FDA Basics Webinar: Food Emergency Response Network (FERN)
- FDA Basics Webinar - Using a Food Label to Make Smart Food Choices
- FDA Basics Video: Michael R. Taylor on Food Safety and Nutrition
- Are foods made with "organic" ingredients safer than those made with ingredients from other sources?
- How do the activities of USDA’s Food Safety Inspection Service differ from the activities of FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition?
- Who makes sure the food I buy at the grocery store is safe to eat?
- Does FDA approve the color additives used in food? If so, how does FDA determine their safety?
- How does FDA recommend washing fruits and vegetables?
- How long can I keep my food in the refrigerator/on the shelf?
- Does FDA inspect grocery stores, restaurants, or dollar stores?
- Which foods should I stay away from during pregnancy?
- Has Stevia been approved by FDA to be used as a sweetener?
How helpful was this information?
Cooperative Programs Help Keep Food Safe[ARCHIVED]