What are Veterinary Biologics (including vaccines) and is FDA responsible for these products?
The term "veterinary biologics" includes all viruses, serums, toxins, or analogous products of natural or synthetic origin which are intended for use in the treatment of animals and which act primarily through the direct stimulation, supplementation, enhancement, or modulation of the immune system or immune response. Such products include but are not limited to vaccines, bacterins, allergens, antibodies, diagnostics, antitoxins, toxoids, immunostimulants, antigenic or immunizing components of microorganisms intended for use in the prevention, diagnosis, management or cure of disease in animals. FDA does not regulate vaccines for animals. The Veterinary Biologics Staff, Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, is responsible for regulating veterinary biologics for purity, safety, potency and effectiveness. Additional information can be found at USDA Veterinary Biologics Web site.
- Where do I go to report problems with flea and tick products?
- Can you explain the approval process for animal drugs?
- FDA Basics Webinar on Advice to Dog Owners Whose Pets Take NSAIDS
- Materials from Webinar on Safeguarding the U.S. Food Supply: Excellent Industry Compliance with the Final Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) Rule
- Is FDA responsible for regulating pesticides that are used in animal products?
- Is it safe for me to provide my pet with a raw food diet?
- FDA Basics Webinar: Melamine: The Cause of the Pet Food and Infant Formula Recalls
- FDA Basics Video: Tracey Forfa on the Human-Animal Bond
- FDA Basic Video: Margaret Oeller (Video)
- What are Veterinary Biologics (including vaccines) and is FDA responsible for these products?
- What is the role of the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) in FDA and what does CVM regulate?
- How do I report a pet food complaint?
- How do I report an adverse drug experience (ADE) in an animal?
- Where can I get information on a drug my veterinarian prescribed?
- Does FDA regulate dietary supplements for animals?
- Do you have a list of discontinued veterinary drugs?
- Are the pet medications sold online the same as those I get directly from the veterinarian?
- Is it safe for me to give my pet pain relief products approved for use in humans such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen sodium?
How helpful was this information?