Where can I get information on a drug my veterinarian prescribed?
The Animal Drugs@FDA database contains information regarding the drug’s indications (why you use it) along with dosage and safety information.
Another source of information is the animal drug’s Freedom of Information (FOI) Summary. The FOI Summary is literally a summary of the information that FDA reviewed and based its approval of the drug on. FOI Summaries contain information on the drug’s chemistry, safety, effectiveness, and indication(s) for use of the drug. FOI Summaries are listed based on the drug’s New Animal Drug Approval (NADA) number. You can find the NADA number on the front of the drug’s label, or, you can also find it on the Animal Drugs@FDA database. Once you have the NADA number, you can go to the FOI Summary site and read the drug’s FOI. (Note: Some of the very old approved veterinary drugs do not have FOI Summaries.)
- Can you explain the approval process for animal drugs?
- FDA Basics Webinar on Advice to Dog Owners Whose Pets Take NSAIDS
- Materials from Webinar on Safeguarding the U.S. Food Supply: Excellent Industry Compliance with the Final Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) Rule
- Is FDA responsible for regulating pesticides that are used in animal products?
- Is it safe for me to provide my pet with a raw food diet?
- FDA Basics Webinar: Melamine: The Cause of the Pet Food and Infant Formula Recalls
- FDA Basics Video: Tracey Forfa on the Human-Animal Bond
- Where do I go to report problems with flea and tick products?
- FDA Basic Video: Margaret Oeller (Video)
- What are Veterinary Biologics (including vaccines) and is FDA responsible for these products?
- What is the role of the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) in FDA and what does CVM regulate?
- How do I report a pet food complaint?
- How do I report an adverse drug experience (ADE) in an animal?
- Where can I get information on a drug my veterinarian prescribed?
- Does FDA regulate dietary supplements for animals?
- Do you have a list of discontinued veterinary drugs?
- Are the pet medications sold online the same as those I get directly from the veterinarian?
- Is it safe for me to give my pet pain relief products approved for use in humans such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or naproxen sodium?
How helpful was this information?