FDA STAFF MANUAL GUIDES, VOLUME III - GENERAL ADMINISTRATION
PRINTING - GENERAL
PRINTING PROCUREMENT (HEADQUARTERS)
Transmittal Number 97-34 -- Date: 04/30/1997
|4. Legal Requirements|
|5. Procedures for Procuring Printing|
|6. Fiscal Year Cutoff Dates for Printing at GPO|
|7. Supply of Forms|
This Guide provides policies and procedures relating to the procurement of printing, binding, composition, duplicating, mailing and related services, and defines responsibilities and legal requirements in this area for FDA Headquarters activities.
Staff Manual Guide FDA 1435.1 "Authority To Procure Printing" delegates the authority to procure printing to certain officials in FDA.
The Administrative Services Branch, Division of Central Services, is responsible for:
1. Providing technical direction for the conduct of a coordinated program controlling the development of materials to be printed or duplicated and assuring the procurement and production of printed matter for FDA Headquarters activities through the DHHS Program Support Center (PSC), Publication Technologies Branch. Sources for procuring printing/duplicating include the PSC Reprographics Branch, the Government Printing Office (GPO), other Government agencies, and outside contractors.
2. Reviewing and approving all printing requisitions (Form HHS-26, Printing and Visual Services and Form PHS-5178, Reprographics Services Requisition) and attached camera copy. Ensuring that the most economical and efficient printing process and class of mail for each request is utilized. For assistance in determining the most appropriate class of mail service, please refer to Staff Manual Guide FDA 2250.4, "Selection of U.S. Postal Service Mail Classes and Services".
3. Reviewing and approving requests for printing procured from commercial sources on Form HHS-393, Purchase/Service/Stock Requisition and for obtaining waivers from GPO for requests over $1,000. (Refer to Staff Manual Guide FDA 2205.3, "Commercial Printing Report").
4. Collecting and compiling all required reports relating to the Agency's printing management program.
4. LEGAL REQUIREMENTS
An outline of legal requirements and a glossary of printing terminology may be found in Staff Manual Guide FDA 2205.1, "Printing Management Program". The Administrative Services Branch will provide advice on legal requirements and an explanation of technical printing terms upon request.
5. PROCEDURES FOR PROCURING PRINTING
A. Prior to submission of Form HHS-26 to the Administrative Services Branch, all necessary clearances must be obtained as follows:
1. For publications and periodicals intended for both internal and external distribution, contact the Office of Public Affairs (HFI-40), at least 3 months in advance of printing. Instructions are provided in Staff Manual Guide FDA 2480.2, "Publications and Audiovisual Clearances".
2. For all FDA forms contact the Information Collection and Dissemination Branch(HFA-250). Please refer to Staff Manual Guide FDA 2450.1, "FDA Forms Management".
B. Submit Form HHS-26 along with the completed camera copy of material to be printed to:
Parklawn - Administrative Services Branch (HFA-210)
FB-8 - Metropolitan Office Services Section (HFA-216)
All printing/duplicating requests will be reviewed for appropriate printing specifications, proper Department identification, complete accounting information and/or designation of payment through common services accounting, the most appropriate class of mail, and required approval signatures.
C. If arrangements have been made for material to be distributed and/or stocked by the Consolidated Forms and Publications Distribution Center (CFPDC), submit a Form CFPDC-1, 1A, or 2, with each Form HHS-26. If arrangements have been made for material to be distributed/stocked in the Administrative Operations Service, Personal Property Management, Personal Property Facility, submit a Form PHS-2708, Printed Material Stock Notice with each Form HHS-26. If material is to be mailed, a distribution list or mailing labels must be attached.
D. Attach a GPO Form 3868, Notification of Intent to Publish, if the material is to be sold by the GPO Superintendent of Documents. Include a brief description of the publication and a justification for its sale in order that it may be properly advertised.
E. A copy of an approved Form HHS-615, Publication Plan Clearance, must accompany all printing requests for publications and periodicals intended for distribution.
F. For printed materials that involve contractor, supplemental, or bulk mailings, attach labels or a distribution list to the Form HHS-26 and camera copy.
6. FISCAL YEAR CUTOFF DATES FOR PRINTING AT GPO
Requisitions for procurement of printing and binding from the Government Printing Office must be submitted 30 calendar days prior to the close of the fiscal year (September 30) and must be completed with respect to manuscript or camera copy, art work, required forms, and specifications.
7. SUPPLY OF FORMS
Forms CFPCD 1, 1A, 2, HHS-393, and HHS-26 may be obtained from the PSC Forms and Stationery Issuance Unit, Room 1A-69, Parklawn. Forms PHS-5178 and also HHS-26's can be obtained from the Administrative Services Branch, Room 9-86, Parklawn. GPO Form 3868 and HHS-615 may be obtained from the Office of Public Affairs (HFI-40), Room 15A-19, Parklawn.