Food and Drug Administration’s Organizational Chart
Under the chart’s primary and secondary titles, “Department of Health and Human Services” and “Food and Drug Administration,” the central box is entitled, “Office of the Commissioner.” Two positions are located in this office:
- Commissioner of Food and Drugs is Dr. Andrew C. von Eschenbach.
- The Deputy Commissioner position is vacant.
To the left of the Office of Commissioner’s box, there is Office of the Chief Staff. This office headed by Ms. Susan C. Winkler. This office has four subordinate offices:
- Office of External Relations is headed by (acting) Assistant Commissioner Lawrence Bachorik.
- Office of the Executive Secretary is headed by Director, LaJuanita Caldwell.
- Office of Legislation is headed by (acting) Assistant Commissioner Stephen Mason.
- Office of Public Affairs is headed by Assistant Commissioner Julie Zawisza.
To the right of the Office of the Commissioner’s box, there are two offices that report directly to the Office of the Secretary, DHHS but are organizationally part of the Office of the Commissioner. These are the Office of the Administrative Law Judge that is headed by Administrative Law Judge Daniel J. Davidson and the Office of the Chief Counsel that is headed by Chief Counsel Gerald F. Masoudi.
A third office directly reports to the Office of the Commissioner that is the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity Management headed by Ms. Georgia Coffey.
There are ten offices are located beneath the Office of the Commissioner and report directly to the Commissioner. These offices are the following:
- Office of Scientific and Medical Programs headed by the Deputy Commissioner and Chief Medical Officer Janet Woodcock, M.D.
- Office of International and Special Programs headed by Deputy Commissioner Murray Lumpkin, M.D.
- Office of Operations headed by Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer John Dyer. MPH.
- Office of Policy, Planning, and Preparedness headed by Deputy Commissioner Randall Lutter, Ph.D.
- Office of Regulatory Affairs headed by Associated Commissioner Margaret Glavin, J.D.
- Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition headed by Center Director Stephen Sundlof, D.V.M., Ph.D.
- Center for Veterinary Medicine headed by (acting) Center Director Bernadette Dunhan, D.V.M., Ph.D.
- Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research headed by Center Director Jesse Goodman, M.D.
- Center for Drug Evaluation and Research headed by (acting) Center Director Janet Woodcock, M.D.
- Center for Devices and Radiological Health headed by Center Director Daniel Schultz, M.D.
There are three offices that are under the Office of Scientific and Medical Programs that report to the Deputy Commissioner and Chief Medical Officer:
- Office of Critical Path Programs headed by Director Rachel E. Behrman, M.D.
- Office of Science and Health Coordination headed by Associated Commissioner Norris Alderson, Ph.D.
- National Center for Toxicological Research headed by Center Director William Slikker, Ph.D.
There are three offices that are under the Office of International and Special Programs that report to the Deputy Commissioner for International and Special Programs:
- Office of International Programs headed by Assistant Commissioner Melinda Plaisier.
- Office of Pediatric Therapeutics headed by Director Diane Murphy, M.D.
- Office of Combination Products headed by Director Thinh Nguyen.
There are four offices that are under the Office of Operations that report to the Deputy Commissioner and Chief Operating Officer:
- Office of Information Management headed by Chief Information Officer Timothy Stitely
- Office of Management headed by Assistant Commissioner Kimberly Holden.
- Office of Executive Operations headed by Director Gloria Coon.
- Office of Crisis Management headed by Director Ellen Morrison.
There are three offices that are under the Office of Policy, Planning and Preparedness that report to the Deputy Commissioner for Policy, Planning and Preparedness:
- Office of Integrity and Accountability headed by Assistant Commissioner William McConagha, J.D.
- Office of Counterterrorism and Emerging Threats headed by Assistant Commissioner Boris Lushniak, M.D.
- Office of Policy and Planning headed by Assistant Commissioner for Planning Malcolm Bertoni (Acting) and by Assistant Commissioner for Policy Jeffrey Shuren, M.D., J.D.
The chart was prepared by the Office of Management Programs, Office of Management. It was prepared on January 14, 2008.