Steven Immergut is the FDA’s Acting Associate Commissioner for External Affairs, a position that involves leadership, coordination and oversight of a wide range of FDA activities affecting the nation’s awareness of the agency’s efforts to protect and promote public health. In this role, he:
- Advises the Commissioner, Deputy Commissioners and other key Agency officials on FDA’s communications to the news media, and the general public on issues that affect Agency-wide programs, projects, strategies, partnerships, and initiatives.
- Advises and assists the Commissioner and other key officials on all public information programs; serves as the agency’s focal point for disseminating information on FDA regulatory and educational activities through the news media; and functions as a Liaison with the Public Health Service and the Department of Health and Human Services on public information programs.
- Advises the Commissioner, Deputy Commissioners and other senior staff throughout FDA on sensitive and controversial programs and initiatives that affect external stakeholder groups; provides historical expertise and records to inform those decisions.
- Serves as a Liaison between FDA and health professional and patient advocacy organizations to solve problems and address concerns these groups have with Agency policies and programs related to human and medical product development and safety.
- Leads efforts to enhance FDA’s communications infrastructure to better serve the public.
- Coordinates and implements policies, programs and initiatives related to FDA’s MedWatch, including the MedWatch website and e-list.
Throughout his extensive career, Mr. Immergut has designed, managed and executed strategic communications initiatives on behalf of organizations operating across the health care sector, including the federal government; pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device companies; associations; health care providers; and patient groups.
Immediately prior to joining the FDA, Mr. Immergut was a Senior Associate with the management consulting firm Booz Allen Hamilton, managing government and private sector health communications engagements. Previously, he directed the Washington, D.C. Healthcare practice at leading public relations firm Hill & Knowlton Strategies, where he represented a range of clients on medical product and health IT communications programs and provided counsel on issues management.
Previously, Mr. Immergut led client engagements for communications consultancies, across a wide range of therapeutic categories including oncology, cardiovascular disease, and infectious disease. Mr. Immergut has significant international experience as a healthcare communicator, having represented several companies based around the world on their global communications programs. Earlier in his career, Mr. Immergut was based in Latin America as consultant under the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), working on groundbreaking public health social marketing programs in HIV/AIDS, reproductive health and diarrheal disease.
Mr. Immergut holds a Master of Public Health from George Washington University and a B.S. in Marketing Management from Syracuse University.