Office of Financial Management
The Office of Financial Management supports the FDA mission to protect the public health by administering fiduciary responsibilities, providing financial managerial services and providing stakeholders with appropriate policy guidance regarding travel planning and travel expenses.
OFM supports the FDA mission by serving in two related roles. As the steward of Agency financial data, OFM is responsible for ensuring financial data is accurate and protected, adheres to prevailing standards and requirements, and is reported in a timely basis to leadership within and outside of the FDA. Beyond compliance assurance, OFM is also positioned to assist the FDA’s Centers, Offices, and Programs manage their financial information and make real-time decisions supported by financial data.
Additionally, OFM is the lead for agency accounting policy and reporting and management of the Annual Chief Financial Officers Act Audit. Annual Financial statements are prepared as required by the Chief Financial Officers Act. OMB, GAO, and DHHS accounting rules and requisitions are interpreted and implemented. This includes Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable and other functions. OFM is also responsible for any process or system initiative with financial implications. Additionally, OFM provides stakeholders with accurate, reliable, and timely travel planning and expense support and serves as the standard of excellence for travel policy guidance within HHS.
The Vision for OFM is summarized in three themes:
- Grow Value and Influence: OFM will drive financial management innovation and improvement within the FDA, serving as a developer and as the model of leading practices in financial oversight and advisory services.
- Be More Proactive: OFM will be more anticipatory in addressing customer and partner needs.
- Improve Analytical Capabilities: OFM will apply its financial management expertise to support FDA decision-making based not only on timely and accurate data, but also on the analysis and interpretation of that data.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates a comprehensive financial management operations program for FDA encompassing the areas of automated financial systems, fiscal accounting, internal financial audit, financial services related to vendor payments, travel support, user fees and financial reporting.
- Provides appropriate policy guidance to stakeholders throughout FDA regarding travel planning and travel expenses.