Office of Global Regulatory Operations and Policy
The Office of Global Regulatory Operations and Policy (also known as GO) comprises the Office of Regulatory Affairs and the Office of International Programs. The Deputy Commissioner for GO provides executive oversight, strategic leadership, and policy direction to FDA’s domestic and international product quality and safety efforts, including global collaboration, global data-sharing, development and harmonization of standards, field operations, compliance, and enforcement activities.
GO Facts at a Glance (April 1, 2015)
Total employees: 4,450
- ORA: 4,300 employees -- includes approximately 1,700 investigators, 650 lab analysts, and 220 OCI Special Agents in locations throughout the U.S.
- OIP: 154 employees including staff in Belgium, China, Chile, Costa Rica, India, Mexico, and the United Kingdom.
- ORA conducted more than 15,400 domestic inspections in FY 2014. That amounts to roughly 1,280 inspections a month -- or 42 inspections every day of the week.
- Our labs analyzed approximately 37,000 samples in FY 2014 – or more than 74 samples analyzed every day of the week.
- OCI, in Fiscal Year 2014, opened 398 cases, made 332 arrests, won 306 convictions, and secured $2.1 billion in fines and restitutions.
- Overseas, our personnel conducted 3,067 inspections in FY 2014, in locations ranging from China to Mexico to India.
- Along with the Office of Foods and Veterinary Medicine, GO is working on an operational plan to implement FSMA, the Food Safety and Modernization Act.
- GO has helped achieve the signing of more than 135 International Arrangements with more than 26 nations regarding FDA's product quality and safety efforts.
- GO contracts with its state partners in the performance, in FY 2014, of approximately 22,000 food, feed, drug and device inspections annually in programs that reach all fifty states.
- GO professionals oversee more than 32 million lines of FDA-regulated products at more than 380 ports of entry and international mail facilities.
Presentations and Testimony
12th Annual Pharmaceutical Compliance Congress
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, March 3, 2015
FDANews Inspections Summit
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, October 24, 2014
Keynote Speech, Partnership for Safe Medicines
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, September 18, 2014
Glenn W. Kilpatrick Memorial Address, Association of Food and Drug Officials
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, June 22, 2014
- Food Safety Modernization Act Operational Strategy (PDF - 209KB)
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, ABA Section of Litigation Food and Supplements Workshop, June 5, 2014
Medical Product Quality(PDF - 270KB)
Howard Sklamberg, J.D. Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, March 11, 2014
"Counterfeit Drugs: Fighting Illegal Supply Chains"
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, February 27, 2014
FDA Voice Blogs
- In a Country Full of Differences, Common Ground
Michael Taylor, Howard Skalmberg, J.D., Camille Brewer, March 27, 2015
- From New Jersey to New Delhi, a Global Focus on Quality
Howard Sklamberg, J.D. and Cynthia Schnedar March 24, 2015
In India, With Our Sleeves Rolled Up
Howard Sklamberg, J.D. and Michael R. Taylor March 18, 2015
FDA's Program Alignment Addresses New Regulatory Challenges
Margaret A. Hamburg, M.D. October 7, 2014
Reflecting on New Food Protections in the Wake of PCA Convictions
Howard Sklamberg, J.D. and Michael R. Taylor September 25, 2014
- Protecting the Global Drug Supply: FDASIA Title VII
Howard Sklamberg, J.D. July 10, 2014
- Ensuring Pharmaceutical Quality Through International Engagement
Howard Sklamberg, J.D. May 12, 2014
- Building Expertise and Crossing Boundaries to Improve Oversight
Howard Sklamberg, J.D. May 5, 2014
- We’re Reinventing Ourselves to Keep Your Food Safe
Michael R. Taylor and Howard Sklamberg, J.D. May 2, 2014