The Office of Global Regulatory Operations and Policy (also known as GO) comprises the Office of Regulatory Affairs and the Office of International Programs. The Deputy Commissioner for GO provides executive oversight, strategic leadership, and policy direction to FDA’s domestic and international product quality and safety efforts, including global collaboration, global data-sharing, development and harmonization of standards, field operations, compliance, and enforcement activities. A fuller explanation of FDA Globalization initiatives can be found on the International Programs - Globalization page
A key aspect of globalization is the ever-increasing volume and complexity of imports coming to America’s shores. As the chart above documents, last fiscal year, FDA oversaw more than 34 million shipments of FDA-regulated products, up from just 15 million shipments a decade ago. These products come from more than 150 nations, are handled by 130,000 importers, and are manufactured, processed, or packaged at more than 300,000 foreign facilities.
GO Facts at a Glance (May 2016)
Total employees: 4,902
- ORA: 4,748 employees
- OIP: 154 employees including staff in Belgium, China, Chile, Costa Rica, India, Mexico, and the United Kingdom.
- ORA conducted more than 15,200 domestic inspections in FY 2015. That amounts to roughly 1,260 inspections a month -- or about 40 inspections every day of the week.
- Our labs analyzed approximately 33,600 samples in FY 2015 – or more than 90 samples analyzed every day of the week.
- OCI, in Fiscal Year 2015, made 348 arrests, won 305 convictions, and secured $1.2 billion in fines, restitutions, asset seizures and forfeitures.
- Overseas, our personnel conducted 3,331 inspections in FY 2015, in locations ranging from China to Mexico to India.
- GO has helped achieve the signing of more than 148 International Arrangements with more than 43 nations and multilateral partners regarding FDA's product quality and safety efforts.
Presentations and Testimony
- Remarks to the Food and Drug Law Institute's 2016 Annual Conference
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Policy, May 6, 2016
Remarks to the Food and Drug Law Institute's Global Business Conference
Dara Corrigan, J.D. Associate Commissioner for Global Regulatory Policy, March 16, 2016
Remarks to the World Spice Congress 2016
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, February 27, 2016
Third Annual Eric M. “Rick” Blumberg Memorial Luncheon Address, Food and Drug Law Institute’s Enforcement, Litigation, and Compliance Conference
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., Deputy Commissioner for Global Regulatory Operations and Policy, December 10, 2015
Remarks at the Milan EXPO: World Food Safety and Security Forum
Michael R. Taylor, J.D. Deputy Commissioner for Foods and Veterinary Medicine, September 22, 2015
FDA Voice Blogs
- Destroying Certain Imported Drugs: A New Rule to Protect Patients
Howard Sklamberg, J.D. and Melinda K. Plaisier September 29, 2015
Welcoming FDA's New Overseas Leaders: FDA's Foreign Posts Provide a Vital Resource for Consumer Protection
Howard Sklamberg, J.D. and Mary Lou Valdez September 14, 2015
A Global Fight Against Dangerous Counterfeit and Unapproved Medical Products: From Operation Pangea to FDA's Global Strategic Framework
Howard Sklamberg, J.D., George Karavetsos, J.D., and Cynthia Schnedar, J.D. June 30, 2015