Resources for You
Division of Field Science, Duties and Functions
- Advises the Director, Office of Regional Operations, concerning the management of the agency's overall field scientific resources (including national experts) to assure their coordinated, efficient, and effective use; provides coordination between field and Headquarters scientific programs.
- Represents the Director, Office of Regional Operations, on top level scientific policy and program matters.
- Identifies goals and objectives for field scientific activities; develops policies and procedures as they relate to these activities; coordinates and develops manuals on field laboratory operating and technical procedures.
- Develops control procedures for field laboratory operations and evaluates the adequacy and effectiveness of field scientific activities through on-site visits.
- Manages the field laboratory research programs; identifies the need for, develops, tests, evaluates, and/or arranges for the adoption of new field equipment, techniques, and methodology.
- Participates in the determination of long- and short-range field scientific facility needs.
- Coordinates research on the applicability of new, complex, scientific instruments for field analyses; designs instrument systems.
- Participates in the formulation and evaluation of training and career development plans for field scientists.
- Provides scientific and analytical expertise related to laboratory automation, analysis, and process control and acquisition of automated data laboratory instruments.
- Develops and maintains liaison with outstanding scientists to assure the moat effective use of field scientific resources.
- Develops and/or reviews the scientific and technical aspects of environmental impact Statements.
- Coordinates the development and audits the implementation of safety programs in field laboratories.