Office of Regional Operations, Duties and Functions
- Coordinates and manages all Agency field operations on behalf of the Associate Commissioner; develops, issues, approves, or clears proposals and instructions affecting field activities; serves as the central point within the Agency through which Headquarters offices obtain field support services.
- Establishes field compliance and enforcement posture, based on Agency policy.
- Develops and/or recommends to the Associate Commissioner policy, programs, and plans for activities between the Agency and State and local agencies; administers the Agency's overall Federal-State program and policy; coordinates the program aspects of FDA contracts with State and local counterpart agencies.
- Coordinates field consumer affairs and information programs; distributes timely information to the field; coordinates activities with Agency counterpart organizations.
- Coordinates nationwide health fraud activities between the field, States, and Headquarters organizations.
- Evaluates the overall management and capabilities of the Agency's field organization; initiates action to improve the management of field activities.
- Serves as the Agency focal point in developing and maintaining international regulatory policy and activities to assure the safety, efficacy, and wholesomeness of various imported products. Coordinates Agency procedures with Headquarters and field offices and is the primary contact with U.S. Customs Service and other Federal agencies responsible for regulating imported products and assuring consistent programs among those offices.
- Develops and/or recommends to the Associate Commissioner policy, program, and plans for applied research that relates to Agency enforcement problems and that will be conducted by field installations; coordinates such research efforts with appropriate agency components.
- Directs and coordinates the Agency's emergency preparedness and civil defense programs.
- Provides other Agency components with laboratory support in various highly specialized areas.
- Recommends priorities for all field construction, repair, improvement, and renovation and recommends short- and long-range field facility utilization plans.