Kara Morgan, Director
The objective of the Public Health Measurement and Analysis (PHMA) Staff is to work with the programs to develop clear connections between the program's activities and public health outcomes. PHMA conducts expert planning, research, analysis, and program management to provide a sound scientific evidence base for the agency's strategic planning, policy development, and performance management activities. The PHMA Staff supports the Director in providing objective expert advice to the senior executive leadership of the agency, and has expertise in public health and in analysis-related disciplines (mathematics, statistics, modeling, decision analysis, and engineering). The PHMA Staff collaborates with senior managers, scientists, and analysts in the Office of the Commissioner, the Office of Regulatory Affairs, and in the Centers to help them understand, assess and evaluate the connections between their organization’s activities, intermediate outcomes, and ultimate public health outcomes.Specific duties include the following:
- Lead the Public Health Measurement and Analysis program, including strategic and operational program planning, under the general direction of the Assistant Commissioner for Planning.
- Develop and execute research plans to improve the agency’s ability to link public health outcome measures to agency activities and outputs.
- Develop logic models that link FDA activities to new and existing public health outcome measures.
- Develop potential new public health measures related to FDA responsibilities.
- Obtain access to and analyzes public health data to support policy development, performance budget formulation, strategic planning, and performance management.
- Conduct special studies as directed by the Assistant Commissioner for Planning and other agency executives to address unique and complex strategic policy issues.
- Prepare and present research papers, briefings, lectures, training, and other communications as necessary to disseminate the results of the program’s work both within FDA and publicly.